Thursday, April 8, 2010

SNAKE!!!!!

Richard came home yesterday to a snake in the driveway. I had my van over at my Mom's house and came in after him - Richard called me and said "Hey! There's a really big brown snake in the driveway. I've thrown some sticks at it to see if it'll move but it won't move. Let me know if you think it is poisonous when you drive by..." I drive up to it and it bit at my front tire. Then I continued to slowly go by and it bit at my back tire. I though it looked like it had a triangular head, but really, I was inside the van, I couldn't really tell.

Richard decided it didn't matter, it wasn't a good black snake, so he went in and got his shot gun. It took him a few minutes to get it out of it's case, unlocked, and to grab some shells...

He got out to the grass and of course the snake had moved by then, but not far, just into the grass. I was watching Richard out the window and saw him shoot twice. He got it!! Way to go Richard! After the snake was dead, and after some pictures, we came inside and got on the internet to see what kind of snake it was. We've decided it was some kind of water snake - non-poisonous, but still a mean snake. And apparently the bite will "bleed profusely" because of something in the snake's saliva??? So we decided it was good that we killed it. With pets and a toddler running around, it wasn't worth the risk of one of them getting bitten.


Just for reference, Richard is 6 feet tall...it was a BIG snake!!
The snake's belly...we took this to help us identify it...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, that is (was) a big snake!